Yesterday, my English class and I went to see "A
Midsummer Night's Dream" at the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre. I was
pleasantly surprised at how unbelievably funny the production was; the facial
expressions, casting, emotions, and conviction of the characters were all
incredible. Although I thought MacBeth was wonderful last year, this blew my
expectations right out of the water.
Before seeing the show, I was
somewhat familiar with "A Midsummer Night's Dream." Last fall, I was
a part of the production "Shakespeare's Shorts" at GBN, in which
excerpts from several of Shakespeare's most famous plays, including
"Midsummer," were highlighted. I was casted as Demetrius, and our
director carefully selected some of the most hilarious sections of the play for
us to perform. I was intrigued and wanted to learn more about the production,
so I was very excited to see it at Navy Pier. Little did I know how great the
entire performance would be.
The opening scene to the play was
brilliant. Bottom was casted perfectly and his mannerisms conveyed a
strong arrogance and naiveté. The introducer to the show was not lying when he
told the audience to watch the facial expressions. I loved how the rest of the
"actor crew" simply adored Bottom, especially Snug (eventually, the
lion). This opening scene warmed all of us up for the rest of the show, and
effectively added a modern twist while staying uniquely Shakespearean.
The rest of the show did not
disappoint. Mixed in with small bits of drama, the comedic bits of the show
left my friend Matthew and I convulsing with laughter. I love watching plays,
and I've found that I always remember certain lines from the best plays that I
see, while lines in mediocre shows slip out of my memory. I
specifically recall one of the last lines of the show, when Demetrius comments
on how "witty" the wall was in the performance: "It is the
wittiest partition that ever I heard discourse!" In all honesty, I was
laughing for probably three minutes at this single line. "A Midsummer
Night's Dream" showed me how Shakespearean humor is incredibly funny
today, and even the smallest lines never fail to disappoint. Simply combining
the words "wittiest" and "partition" had me on my knees
laughing. Shakespeare is truly a master of description.
Overall, the play was absolutely
fantastic. I had always loved Shakespeare's tragedies, yet I had never been
fully immersed in one of his comedies. "A Midsummer Night's
Dream" was the best comedy I could have ever imagined to begin with, and I
am extremely excited to see more! By the audience's reaction to each joke in
the play, it was clear that I am not alone in this regard. "A Midsummer
Night's Dream" is definitely one of my top ten favorite plays right now,
and I only wish I could see it once more! Sadly, the play closes this weekend
at the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre. Next time it performs, however, I will
definitely be there!
(But seriously, my friend Katy said
that she could hear me laughing from halfway across the balcony. Apparently I
have quite the distinctive laugh...)
No comments:
Post a Comment