For several weeks in English class, we have been tirelessly working on our short stories. From the first draft all the way until our final graded assessment, I have acquired a new process of thought in how to write a successful piece of writing in school: the “Grin and Bear It” method. I applied this method in how to successfully take teacher advice on writing, and I firmly believe that, although annoying at first, my short story evolved and moved forward as a result.
All of this drama began the day we received our “graded” second drafts. To be blunt, I was extremely upset. I firmly believed that my story fragment was a stroke of genius on my part (even if no one else thought of it that way), and so I was disheartened when I saw that many aspects of my story were considered ‘incipient’ on the rubric. Taking my knowledge from writing my poem, I knew that I needed to accept Mr. Allen’s advice; however, I simply did not change enough.
In writing the third draft, I tried as hard as I possibly could to adhere to Mr. Allen’s advice, yet I found myself continually looking back at my previous drafts for advice, ignoring the fact that they were unsuccessful in their attempts. Nonetheless I worked diligently, and I turned in the draft with increased confidence. Lo and behold, “grade” did not seem to improve.
I stared at the rubric for my third draft with dismay; I wanted to do well so badly, yet I did not know how. And after several hours of pity searching, I finally created my most brilliant plan yet—the “Grin and Bear It” method. Although I wanted my voice and uniqueness to shire through in my writing, I recognized that Mr. Allen had years of experience on me, and above everything he was my teacher. If I was to have a successful story in his eyes, I needed to follow what he thought would work best for my story.
At first this idea displeased me. I was convinced that I was just ‘conforming to the system,’ and ‘losing my identity,’ etc. However, in time, I grew a liking for it. Although the end result of my most recent draft is not at all what I expected it to be, it improved significantly from my original and I definitely have my teacher’s advice to thank for that.
This new method for writing surprised me to say the least. I was always convinced that voice and originality were the two most important aspects of a great piece of writing, and indeed they are significant, but taking advice does not mean that my originality is automatically thrown out the door. I believe that the mix of creativity and helpful advice will create the best story, or any piece of writing for that matter.
When writing the next and final step in this short story process after Spring Break, I will certainly grin and bear the advice given to me in order to create a working end result. The only change that I hope to make in my newfound technique is simply to grow fonder of it. The more accustomed to this idea I am, the more natural and more successful my writing will become, because previous drafts will be less of a setback. Hopefully, if I accept that my teachers often have great advice even if it may not seem obvious at first, my writing will grow and blossom as a result.
No comments:
Post a Comment