Friday, April 27, 2012

Metacognition: Jane Eyre Mashup

Throughout high school, a common theme for my development as a student has been recognizing my improvements under unfavorable circumstances. When the Jane Eyre Mashup project was originally introduced to me, I thought it was going to be tedious and unhelpful. However, I decided to "trust the process," and as a result I discovered new insight about Jane Eyre, but more importantly, about myself.

Our "Mashup" projects highlighted the re-contextualization of different elements into the illusion of a collective consciousness. "Wow. What?" is right. To me, this originally sounded insane, convoluted, and rather pointless. Our teacher, however, emphasized the importance of trusting that greatness and insight would emerge.

So I just decided to go with it. Even though I was unsure, I saw that my teacher had successfully done this before. This "trust the process" motto that I went by during the project turned out to be one of my greatest assets. Last Friday night, I stayed in, knowing that work needed to get done. I collected a large sum of Jane Eyre evidence for our group's theme, yet almost no insight seemed to spontaneously burst from my brain. Increasingly and increasingly more skeptical, my project motto was being put to the test. Nonetheless, I swallowed my fears and just kept going.

I kept this attitude until the Tuesday before the project would be due. My group members and I met at the Northbrook Public Library, and here is where the sparks began to fly.

We cut all of the pieces of evidence into small strips and laid them on the table. As we began arranging, to my surprise, it was incredible how perfectly the evidence fit together. By the end, all of us recognized the emergence of new ideas that none of us ever imagined to find. It is incredible how the simple arrangement of independent elements can create such a unique and unexpected outcome.

I certainly never would have gotten to that point in my project had I not "trusted the process." Sometimes, as my experience with this mashup clearly illustrated, it is important to recognize that the teacher often understands the situation more than we may think. Mr. Allen had a vision for project, but more than that: he had done it before. In the future, I will try to recognize this understanding more.

I believe the only detriment to this mindset is that I did not utilize it fully enough; although I trusted that Mr. Allen knew what he was doing, I often lost confidence along the way. Next project, if I do not know what to expect, I will try more actively to trust the process. My drama teacher has always taught me that it is important to do this, but it took this project (and more active participation on my part) for me to fully comprehend its extremely positive outcomes.


No comments:

Post a Comment