Monday, November 28, 2011

Get Organized: Shaping up my Desk and my Work Ethic


For what seemed to be millennia and millennia, my desk was a complete mess. Piled high with papers and games and scraps, I thought that it would take an eternity to clean. Luckily, with the help of my mother, I was able to straighten up my desk and my work ethic this weekend.

Before I dove into this cleaning project, I was horrified at the sight of my desk. Work buildup from what must have been three years was sprawled across it, and I never even imagined cleaning it. While it may seem minor, this disorganized lump of junk took a toll on my work habits.

Without a clean, defined place to work in my house, I have always found myself moving off-task and constantly getting distracted while doing work. I definitely recognized this problem, yet I was too lazy to change my attitude and clean my desk.  I am the type of person who needs to have a rigid work structure. I do very well with organization and habit, because I enjoy being in my comfort zone while doing work. For this reason, I was unsuccessful in a lot of my work before I cleaned my desk.

This weekend, with my mom’s help, I finally decided to shape up and start cleaning. I was surprised and disgusted at all of the garbage that I found. Most shocking to me was the sheer number of empty soda cans; there was close to fifteen piled in my garbage can by the time I had finished cleaning. I felt as if I was staring into the stresses of my past when I threw away those cans. They reminded me of all of the sleep that I had lost freshman year, mainly over trivial matters. Nonetheless, I was beginning to feel cleansed.

In finishing the cleaning process, I remembered how in eighth grade I would do all of my work in this desk, with the bright lamp shining directly in the middle of the stained wood workspace. I felt somewhat nostalgic of my old work habits; I was once the master of organization. After I threw away the last of the random papers, I knew that my habits needed to change if I was going to be successful in high school.

I am now so relieved that I have a specific place where I can focus on nothing except what I need to do. My brain has missed a place of solitude like my desk, and now it is so much easier to think. Without pointless distractions, I am now able to finish my homework in much less time. More importantly, I feel so much better now that I have a small intellectual haven in my room.

If I continued my cycle of laziness and never cleaned my desk, I would have never known how wonderful it is to have a little corner to myself. This project has taught me to be more open-minded about change, because my switch from the living room couch to my stained wood sanctuary is helping me in ways that I am only beginning to realize.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mister Kaplan,
    While I see why you feel mess is detrimental to working efficiently, I must disagree with you. In my experience I have found that a completely clean workspace seems alien; I prefer a nest of papers cluttered around my work area in such a way that my workspace feels cozy, almost nest-like.

    In a base sense, having clutter is my way of marking my territory. My work area has papers from various classes strewn about, and the rest of my family thus chooses not to work in my area. They, much like you, seem to view having papers just sitting in piles to be a sign of disorganization, but I would argue that this is not the case. You equate messy with disorganized, but as long as there is a method to your madness, as long as you know where all of your school miscellanea are, you will be perfectly organized.

    Organization for one person, I understand, is different from organization for another person; I fully respect that you need your things to be categorized in order to feel organized. There is one aspect of organizing where it is important to neatly source--when filing through no longer needed papers--but besides this caveat I believe that work areas should be slightly messy and have a personal feel towards them.

    Next time your desk gets messy Alex, I would like you to think long and hard before you clean it again. Let yourself consider what really makes a space yours: the absence of clutter, or the presence that your space has been well used. Maybe you will come to the same conclusion you arrived at when you decided to clean your desk, or maybe, just maybe you'll decide to build your nest and build it tall.

    ReplyDelete