Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Blog 8: Big Leaps Pay Off

As long as you keep trying, you will eventually achieve your goals. While this mindset is extremely important in building stamina and self-confidence, it began to plague my work ethic. It often convinced me that I should never start over, and that all of my work should be adjusted, not changed in order to improve. It made me feel as if abandoning and eliminating was a way of taking the easy way out. My poem in English class helped me understand how false my thinking once was.

When starting my poem, I resisted making substantial changes to its original style and structure. I was afraid of destroying my "precious creation," and I clung to it for my life. Little did I know that I was actually ruining my poem in trying to protect it. I refused to acknowledge the negative, and simply praised what I thought was brilliant.

We finally got the third draft of our poems back. I was confused and angry about the comments made on my poem. I continued to deny the problems in the writing, and I simply thought that I was the only one who understood its complexity. Finally, in a desperate attempt to better my poem, I accepted that the complexity was itself a problem. I never imagined the improvement that took place after that realization.

I stared at my incipient piece of poetry and wondered how I could improve. With only one day left until the deadline for the fourth draft of the poem, I made a radical decision; I completely abandoned my old poem's language. While I kept the general idea, I started over with a blank page and a new approach.

The result was a poem that had sharp language and a clear narrative, but I recognized more than that. There was so much to improve as well. I was finally able to recognize the faults in my writing, which allowed me to further revise and create a well-written final product.

This semester I learned the importance of starting anew and having the mental strength to reject my own writing for the hope of creating something even better in time. I no longer have a fear of taking risks when I write. I know that eventually, those risks will pay off.

Although I learned much this semester, grades still dominate my life. Even if I feel mentally accomplished in an assignment, if I earn an undesirable grade, I will instantly doubt myself and my abilities. For example, I did not earn an "A" on my Orlando essay earlier this semester. I then forced myself to believe that my essay was terrible and that I was not a smart English student. (Crazy, right?) Grades still seem to dictate my every action.

I feel like a puppet to grades, and although I certainly value knowledge above a stupid letter, I often judge myself based on the grades I receive. My goal for second semester is to learn to accept and move past the arbitrary evaluations that I receive. What really matters is the learning process. 

I still believe that as long as I work hard enough, I will be able to achieve my goals (within reason). However, I now know that working hard often means starting over and even eliminating thoughts that were once brilliant. I hope that I can use this new mindset to achieve grade goals next semester. I learned so much in these past five months and I am ready and eager for more in 2012! 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Alex!

    I completely agree with your comment. Unfortunately, we all are puppets to our grades and abandon our learning process with a refusal to start anew. I remember how difficult it was for me to delete excerpts of my poem. There were so many details and phrases that I felt still belonged. Like you, I clung to the previous mentality set on me which focused on slight revision instead of real, drastic changes. However, when I confronted my fear of deleting unecessary material, I learned so much. I began to understand the power of language, conciseness, and creativity.

    Without looming grades, I could process more information and spend more time working on something that had it been set at an earlier date, I would have procrastinated. Therefore, I hope we can all work on more learning instead of receiving. It will shape us as better individuals as well as students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, I know exactly where you’re coming from in terms of structure. In case it wasn’t made apparent by many forgotten handouts under my desk, I am also organizationally challenged. However, recently I have been working on correcting my abominable habits and have noticed payoffs not just in workspace and comfort, but in many other areas of my life. Improving in one aspect of life or work habits has a trickle-down effect that can even lead to one’s overall happiness. Primarily, now that I’m (slightly) more organized, I am less stressed about running around and finding handouts, assuming I can find them at all, I get to bed earlier, and am overall healthier because of a few small steps. It also helps to make those pesky grades easier to get, and if it keeps your mind off grades, it can’t be all bad! Yes, lifestyle changes are certainly not fun, but what is life without change? I can only speak for myself, but I certainly have no desire to stay 15 for the rest of my life, and if we are to progress, change is inevitable and healthy.

    ReplyDelete