Monday, October 31, 2011

Captured Thought: Shakespeare's Writing Expertise


In middle school, William Shakespeare was a strange man to me, hidden within a realm of mystery. Of course, I had never read anything by him at this point; I had just heard many tragic English class horror stories of Shakespeare's devilish writing that past high school students had told me. With this, I was extremely nervous to read the Bard's work.

As the end of the year approached during Freshman year, we began to read Romeo and Juliet, arguably Shakespeare's most famous play. I approached this play with some reluctance because I was almost certain that I would hate reading it.

Surprisingly, that was not the case. I did not fall in love with Shakespeare, yet I most certainly enjoyed his story about two lovers and the consequences of their "misadventured piteous overthrows." Still, I found Shakespeare's writing to be ambiguous and wordy. I did not see the point of the countless numbers of long monologues, specifically Mercutio's famous "Queen Mab" rant.

It did not truly understand Shakespeare's beautiful writing until Sophomore year.

At the end of September, I was involved in GBN's fall production of Romeo and Juliet, and I was not too thrilled. Although I was happy to get a part in the show, I remember rolling my eyes when I found out what the fall play was going to be.

Finally, we ran through Act I, Scene IV, or "The Queen Mab Scene." I was shocked; it was so incredible. The very monologue which I hated so much was my new favorite. Jake Prizant took the role of Mercutio and he played the part wonderfully. After experiencing this scene in a positive atmosphere, the Bard's writing finally made sense to me.

What I had long since considered ambiguous and wordy was now descriptive and beautiful in my mind. I finally understood why my wacky English teachers loved Shakespeare so much! To truly love Shakespeare, I needed to embrace his writing and focus on the poetry that he so carefully crafted in his tragedies and comedies. Watching that scene in Romeo and Juliet taught me a valuable lesson and implanted a valuable idea in my head: Shakespeare's works are more than just impassive "writing." His works contain emotion, thought, poetry, literary genius, and so much more.

I am continuing my Sophomore year with the mindset that Shakespeare need not be feared, rather his writing style should be accepted and embraced. I am extremely excited to read King Lear this year in my English class so that I can confirm my positive opinions of Shakespeare and read my second Shakespearean play with an open mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment